Over the past few years I’ve gone from being a very occasional audiobook listener to a decidedly avid listener who seriously cannot be stopped. I regularly ravage my library’s offerings and I also have an Audible subscription for the ones my library doesn’t have.
Growing up, storytelling was something I always enjoyed both inside and outside the home. Bedtime stories were my favorite and my mother would regularly take me to storytelling events, especially those at pow-wows and other indigenous events. I’m Yaqui and the oral tradition is strong with Indians so it’s probably a big part of my appreciation of audiobooks.
I get where some people come from when they say it’s too hard for them to concentrate on audiobooks. This happens to me if it’s a more academic listen or if I don’t like the narrator, but for the most part I think I get a lot out of listening to a book. I listen when I get ready in the mornings, when I walk my dog or work out, and when I’m doing things around the house. As a result, I’ve nearly doubled the amount I read in any given year.
Unfortunately, even though I listen to a lot of audiobooks, I’ve still managed to become a hardcore audiobook hoarder. I’m hoping this year to whittle down my TBR and that includes the audiobooks that have been waiting patiently on my devices to be listened to.
And that brings us to the Audiobook Challenge of 2020 hosted by Caffeinated Reviewer!
- Runs January 1, 2020 – December 31, 2020. You can join at any time.
- The goal is to find a new love for audios or to outdo yourself by listening to more audios in 2020 than you did in 2018.
- Books must be in audio format (CD, MP3, etc.)
- ANY genres count.
- Re-reads and crossovers from other reading challenges are allowed.
- You do not have to be a book blogger to participate; you can track your progress on Goodreads, Facebook, LibraryThing, etc.
- If you’re a blogger grab the button and do a quick post about the challenge to help spread the word. If you’re not a blogger you can help by posting on Facebook or Tweet about the challenge.
- Updates plus a giveaway will be posted twice during the year. The first update will be June 30, 2020, and the last update will take place on December 15, 2020.
- Newbie (I’ll give it a try) 1-5
- Weekend Warrior (I’m getting the hang of this) 5-10
- Stenographer (can listen while multitasking) 10-15
- Socially Awkward (Don’t talk to me) 15-20
- Binge Listener (Why read when someone can do it for you) 20-30
- My Precious (I had my earbuds surgically implanted) 30+
- Marathoner (Look Ma No Hands) 50+
- The 100 Club (Audiobook Elite) 100+
Last year I listened to nearly 50 audiobooks so I’m hoping to achieve a similar goal this year. I’ve opted for the fifth level of the challenge: Binge Listener (Why read when someone can do it for you) 20-30
I will probably listen to more than 20-30, but I’m going to try to limit my challenge to mostly the books that have been getting lonely and forgotten on my Audible account. So far this year I have listened to 10 audiobooks, but only 3 were ones that had been on the backburner for awhile. Looks like I had better get listening to those books queuing on Audible before they revolt and un-download themselves!
If you’d like to take part in this challenge, head over to the sign up page over here!
Are you taking part in this challenge? How have audiobooks impacted your reading habits? Let me know in the comments!